Tuesday, August 16, 2011

My girlfriend is in Taiwan, what visa should we use to bring her back to the US?

My girlfriend is in Taiwan, what visa should we use to bring her back to the US?
I met her while she was a student here in the U.S. but she graduated and went back to Taiwan, what kind of visa should we get for her to stay here permenently? Or how can she get her green card?
Immigration - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
dude ! i'm like having the same problem as you! except he hasn't actually left for taiwan yet, because we're talking about marrying instead, but if we decided for him to move instead of me marrying so young, then i will be going back to this question to see the responses! basically i'm just writing to say thanks for asking this . . ..
2 :
I think you only have 2 choices and they are employment based (I don't know if she would qualify for one of these) or family based which if she has no US citizens who are family means marriage. I met my Taiwanese wife when she was doing some post graduate work and I was working on a doctorate. We decided to just be friends as she was going back to Taiwan and I was staying here. 25 years later and I still want to know what happened to staying just friends! Keep in touch. If it was meant to be it will turn out OK in the long run. Sorry I can not be of more help. You might want to check out the website below to get a better idea of possible green card paths. Good Luck!
3 :
You can only get her a green card if you two get married or she gets an employment based green card through a sponsor (employer in that case). If she cannot get a green card and she is well-qualified, she may qualify for a working visa. Don't forget that international students being on student visas are usually NOT allowed to go back to the U.S. for a certain amount of time (I think it is 2 years).
4 :
1. To marry your girlfriend in the US, file an I-129F petition, found at: http://www.uscis.gov/i-129f You have 90 days in which to get married, and file an I-485 petition (adjust status to permanent resident based on marriage to US citizen) for your new wife. Once approved, it will be valid for 2 years. 90 days before this 2 years expires (look at the date on the visa) you must file another form to renew the visa: the I-751. http://www.uscis.gov/i-751 2. If your boyfriend/girlfriend is in the US on an F-1 visa, you can marry and file an I-485, and follow the procedure above. You will need to convince the authorities a little more this way that you are really married and will stick together, and not just saying so in order to get the visa.

Read more other entries :