Friday, September 14, 2012

Keychain from Taiwan?


Keychain from Taiwan?
My friend, an exchange student from Taiwan, gave me a keychain from her country today. It looks like some type of lion holding a sword in it's mouth. It has a giant yellow beard and black eyebrows with yellow spots on them. There is a yin yang on it's forehead. On the back there is another yin yang with some symbols around it. Does anybody know what this thing is? Here is the front: http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/Thumdarr/DSC02967.jpg Here's the back: http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/Thumdarr/DSC02968.jpg
Taiwan - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Chinese lions are usually used for guardian spirits, or good luck. So it could be either a good luck charm that she bought before coming to give out as a gift, or it could be just a random charm that she liked or thought was good to represent Taiwan. >Edit< I am going to ask some of my friends what they significance of this particular lion is, because as I have learned there are different meanings to the different styles. Until then the characters on it mean Front: 王 = wáng -> king; monarch Back: 安 = ān -> peaceful; at ease; undisturbed; tranquil; calm 永 = yǒng -> everlasting; forever 康 = kāng -> well-being; health 保 = bǎo -> protect; defend In my opinion it seems to be a guardian charm for someone who is traveling, but I am not going to say that is what this one. Just don't read too much in to the gift its self Taiwanese love to give gifts to people who help them, especially exchange students. I know this from experience working with my universities Intensive English Program, and meeting several large groups of Taiwanese students.
2 :
I'm guessing that what you have is a "Foo Dog"; it's half lion and half dragon. They are refered to as "Shi" (pronounced "shuhr") in Chinese, and are intended to ward off evil spirits. http://www.tattoosymbol.com/gallery/foo-dog-tattoo.html http://www.bugei.com/product_1180_detailed.htm They are associated with swords, but I haven't yet seen one depicted with a sword in its mouth. Now... Go! And, get your snowglobe repaired quickly. hahaha

Read more other entries :